[Dixielandjazz] "Old Names" was "Valve Bone"

Marty Nichols marnichols at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 17 12:10:35 PDT 2008

I found a University Of Chicago site on line called "The Robert Peck Donation" It is a list of venues in Chicago that featured dixie jazz in the 40s-50s and 60s.
  http://www.lib.uchicago.edu/e/su/cja/pecks1.html

  You will find a host of the greater (and lesser) lights of the dixie jazz scene in Chicago. At that time it was common for the personnel in a small band to be listed in ads. Imagine listing all the guys in Welks band at the time. ???
  I guess we were "stars" LOL
  Marty Nichols
  http://myspace.com/freemarty

  Don Ingle wrote:

  "Again the great name drop goes on. Ain't it fun.
I met Bobby when I first went to Jazz Ltd. and had a room in an apt.
near Broaday and Lawrence and he stayed there as well. Nice player -- a

sweet sounding style and no frills cornet that made every note count. I

only met Danny Alvin once, but when I worked with Joe Marsala I heard
dozens of Alvin stories. I used to go into the 1111 Club under the L on

Bynmar (SP.) mant times when I was still going to college in Michigan
and used to come to town to catch some jazz. (That club never carded
anyone over 15.) At that time Del Lincoln (Bert Arronson) was on
 cornet,
and another great player.. When I was a kid (and a Chicago-born one at
that), he and his wife Alene and daughter Patty lived in the same
apartment building as my family did and we were all close friends.
Of course there was the squirrelly one, Hey Hey Humphries,  a good
drummer with more than a few loose screws. They finally shipped him out

to a state funny farm downstate around Matoon, but he was a
 memory-maker
first class. Between his side show antics and Brunis playing trombone
with his feet it was a real twilight zone of trad jazz but had its
 moments.
Send me your mailing address off line and I will slip you something
 with
Mr. Hedges and I sharing some fun at a Jazz at Noon session you might
appreciate.
Hope the eyes are doing okay. I will be having a cateract taken out on
one eye this spring. Getting to the point of my reading with a Popeye
look -- one eye lid scrunched tight.
Hell -- got good use of the old one for 77 years, so a new lens may
 make
me gain a younger outlook on things.
I do keep in touch with Wayne Jones and a few of the old Chicago gang.
Hope to see them this spring when we head over to the BigWindy for a
week of obsessive behavior at several old watering holes.
Nice to hear those old friends' names. It brings some warm thoughts.
Don Ingle"