[Dixielandjazz] BIAB Library was sleepwalk needed

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Sat Mar 15 12:55:23 PDT 2008

Thanks - I found it after I had gone to the site and looked around some
there was a link that I missed the first time.  I haven't looked at any of
the files yet but I got a bunch from the i-net five or six years ago.  All
required tinkering or changes that some well intentioned person had put in.
I think that a lot of people try to use BIAB as a finished performance tool.
IMO it really isn't all that good for turning out listening things.  I think
its strong point is as an accompaniment to horns and vocals.  I never turn
on the melody except in rare cases.  I do use the soloist track to put in
countermelodies and harmony parts and very rarely the melody its self.  I
will put the melody in the soloist if I want some special effect.  I use it
in the theme from Titanic with one of the echo voices to play along with me.

What happens is that people will put all kinds of junk into the melody line
that just clutter up the basic line.  This especially happens when someone
put in the melody with a keyboard and they just couldn't restrain themselves
from putting in all kinds of junk.  It's a lot of trouble to remove all that
stuff.  If you have someone sight reading which one of those three or four
notes piled on each other is the correct one?  That's the way some things
show up.  They may sound OK but reading them is a drag.

I will look through them for tunes that might be good and then modify them
for my use.  I spend it seems like a lot of time working with BIAB.  I am
just forever tweaking tunes and changing keys or arrangements.  I think of
it as like tending a garden that needs weeding all the time.

Thanks for the lead on a BIAB site.  I'm sure there is enough there to keep
me up a few nights.  I was looking through the tunes for East Side West Side
for St. Patrick's day and I would have thought this oldie would have been
there.
Larry
StL