[Dixielandjazz] More on Soprano Sax

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Thu Mar 13 10:53:53 PDT 2008

It's surprising how good some of these imports are.  I have a Winston
(Boston).  It's sort of labeled like it came from here but my repair guys
say only assembled here.  The biggest problem seems to be keeping it in
adjustment.  I think they go for about $600 but I paid only about half that.
The high register is capable of playing in tune but it's also capable of
going wild like most soprano's up there.

The mouthpiece that came with it worked better and better as I added stiffer
reeds.  It was almost perfect with a 4 but killed my chops.   So mouthpiece
/ reed makes a big difference too in how well these horns play and play in
tune.

I keep it as a backup horn in case something happens to my Yamaha but I'm
almost afraid to take the thing out of the case lest it go out of adjustment
or I touch it hard and bend something.  Before I stopped playing it I had it
in the shop three times and I had spent a third of what it cost just keeping
it in shape.  This wouldn't have been so bad but in a year?  There is more
to a horn than just it's playing characteristics.  By the way the Winston
does not have that junky feel to it that so many of the Rice Soprano's have.
It's very smooth and has a good feel.  If I were going to buy an inexpensive
horn I would buy a Winston.  Nice tone, pretty good intonation and feels
right.  Just be careful with it.
Larry
StL.