[Dixielandjazz] C Melody Sax

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 12 07:47:11 PDT 2008

Last month I watched Scott Robinson play some C Melody sax (tenor)
with the Marty Groz hot winds. It was excellent and I suspect that
most folks would not have realized it was a C melody horn. Even some
of the non-reed musicians there did not realize it was a C melody.
Some suspected something and asked me what it was as it "appears to be
slightly smaller than the tenor Dan Block has."  (Dan was the other
reed man that day)  It was among the six different reed instruments
that Scott brought and he was expert on all of them. It played in tune
and he was quite facile on it. Dan brought six horns too. As Marty
opined, they are "The Rajas of Reeds".

Cheers,
Steve Barbone