[Dixielandjazz] Music for swing dancers

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Sat Mar 8 17:32:52 PST 2008

Once again I find myself agreeing with Steve Barbone . . . Geeze, what is
happening???  This really has me worried.  (grin)

As far as the list of tunes, if the tempos are to the liking of the dancers,
and the beat is there, they will dance to anything.  The length of tunes
that Steve mentions below is right.  Sometimes they want the 3-minute tunes
because they are used to dancing to the 3-minute 78s, plus they don't want
to get stuck with the same partner for long.

Sometimes they like the longer tunes, especially if they are dancing with
their long-time dance partner.

I cannot believe how fast the really good, young swing dancers like to
dance.

The main thing is to be very observant of the dancers, and their age.

The young swing dancers that we play for will dance every dance from 9:00 PM
to midnight.  Then go somewhere else and dance every dance until 5:00 AM.

Remember the days when we had that kind of energy?  Play a 4 or 5-hour gig
and then go somewhere and jam until dawn?

--Bob Ringwald