[Dixielandjazz] More Art Ford's Jazz Party

Randy Fendrick jfendrick at bak.rr.com
Fri Mar 7 22:59:32 PST 2008

What is cool is seeing and hearing Mary Osborne.  She played in our big
band for some ten years, and in the early days of our group, Southside
Chicago Seven worked as our guitarist.  Her son, Pete Scaffidi works
with us some time on bass.  A really talented family.  Some years ago
she told me about her relationship with Billie Holiday at one of Art
Ford's Jazz parties.  Which was a kind of cool story.  She also told
the story of these jazz parties and how they were sold to, I believe
the Dumont Network during the late 1950's.  The show with Billie
Holiday had Tyree Glynn on trombone, Gerry Mulligan on bari sax;
Coleman Hawkins, and I forget who else.  Some years ago, a girl in one
of my classes wanted to see a video of Billie Holiday and I took it to
school and you can guess what happened to the tape.  The Scaffidi
family promised me another but...
later,
rf