[Dixielandjazz] Music for dancing

dwlit at cpcug.org dwlit at cpcug.org
Fri Mar 7 20:46:58 PST 2008

Just to connect the dots of Phil's 2 posts:

Maintaining consistent tempo during a tune is mandatory. I think the same
goes for keeping the same rhythm pattern--I used to have arguments with my
bass player, who wanted to do the first chorus 1 & 3, then go to 4/4 on
4/4 tunes.

Among dancers "strict tempo" refers to the American Ballroom Dancing Assoc.
competition tempo list. (There's also a British equivalent).

>From the first days of my danceband career I got great reviews from good
dancers for my tempos, so I confidently approached and was hired by a
ballroom for one of their monthly live band parties. Really bombed--people
left early; not realizing its significance, I had blissfully ignored the
tempo list the boss gave me. The less expert dancers gear their steps and
licks to the precise tempos, and are thrown for a loop when the tempo is
slower or faster. As with jazz musicians, the better dancers can adjust to
different tempos, and may even enjoy doing something different.

Phil mentioned the string-of-solos syndrome. More specifically, ballroom
dance teachers have told me generally to keep the tunes to 3.5-4 minutes.

--Sheik