[Dixielandjazz] Music for dancing

PHIL WILKING philwilking at bellsouth.net
Fri Mar 7 12:21:09 PST 2008

Real dancers won't care very much what tune titles you play. They will be
much more interested that the dance rhythm is what you announced (foxtrot,
cha-cha, waltz, rhumba, peabody, tango, etc., and they WILL want a variety
of rhythms) and that you play at a danceable tempo AND stick to it ("strict
tempo"). That last is critical: do not speed up or slow down during a
piece - finish at exactly the same tempo you started with, although a retard
on the last measure or two is acceptable.

They will be annoyed if the smooth flow of the dance music is interrupted by
extended virtuoso solo passages which get away from strict tempo and steady
rhythm.

Phil Wilking

Those who would exchange freedom for
security deserve neither freedom nor security.