[Dixielandjazz] Improvisors

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 6 12:49:41 PST 2008

> Lowell Busching <verbose at daktel.com>
>
> If you can get a copy of the USA Today paper for Wednesday, March 5th,
> look at the small article on the bottom of page 9D. It has now been
> scientifically proven, by a brain researcher who is also a saxophone
> player, that the center of improvising in the brain is the exact same
> area that gets turned on when you ask a musician about himself or
> herself.  I.E. those that are full of themselves are most likely to be
> the best improvisers with music.
>
> The findings were published Feb 27 in "Public Library of Science ONE."
>
> This would seem to indicate that if you need to find a good improviser
> for your band to look for the most self centered musician you can
> find,
> and your odds of getting a good one will improve.

OK, Mad Dog, I'm taking the bait.

Little did i realize that the website I posted about the "Creative
Process in Jazz" would specifically relate to USA Today's article.
For those who want more information on Creativity and Improvisation in
Jazz, and what it REALLY is, go to:

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=28416#6  (also
published in late February)

Of course, creative improvisors are all confident of their ability,
gift, unconscious mind, etc., etc., <grin>
By the same token, perhaps those that cannot improvise are
______________. (fill in your own thoughts)

Cheers,
Steve Barbone