[Dixielandjazz] Where the music is at

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 6 07:51:24 PST 2008

Wonder where OKOM is these days? Want to see some of the busiest
professional OKOM musicians around? Click on the two sites below for
starters:

http://www.jfryer.com

http://www.danlevinson.com

Yessir OKOM is alive and well, at least with these two East Coast USA
jazz musicians.

How come? Because they hustle for work and publicize their efforts via
the modern day media like Levinsons's MySpace Page and/or  emails to
Fryer's 575 fan name list.

And ya gotta love this Levinson quote in answer to a question about
the future of OKOM.

"I do not worry about it. Music evolves. Some preserve the past. Some
'old jazz purists' make and follow rules. Our 'jazz forefathers' had
no rules. They ignored rules. There are some terrific young groups out
there like 'Loose Marbles' with Ben Polcer. We should not be stubborn
and hold to the past. There are brilliant minds ready to take our 'old
music' to something new, fresh and truly fantastic."

Quoted from a question and answer session between Dan and 'The Tri
State Skylark Strutter" newsletter of the Tri State Jazz Society in a
discussion about his upcoming March 1y6 performance

Cheers,
Steve Barbone