[Dixielandjazz] "Skip the Gutter"

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Tue Mar 4 19:28:53 PST 2008

Earlier this week Craig I. Johnson wrote [in part]:
> As to "Skip the Gutter" it was written by Spencer Williams
> according to redhotjazz.com, tho attributed to Otis Rene'
> elsewhere..............................
> I haven't checked to see if anyone else recorded it in a less
> "soloist" style.

Dear Craig.
Your last comment first.
All recorded versions I know of, apart from the original
Armstrong/Hines recording on Okeh from 27 June 1928, are post WWII
renditions.  And we know which version inspired these.
8>)
However, the Otis René authorship intrigues me.
Where did that come from?
The Okeh record and ASCAP list Spencer Williams as composer of "Skip
The Gutter".
Otis J René Jr. (b, New Orleans 1898) and his brother Leon T René (b.
Covington LA 1902) immortalised themselves as the composers (with
Clarence Muse) of "When It's Sleepy Time Down South".
Although, this wasn't just a one-hit wonder.
They were prolific composers and continued to write jointly well into
the 1940s. Both were ASCAP members. But "Skip The Gutter" does not
appear in the ASCAP tune listings for either of the Renés.
Otis and Leon René also wrote another Armstrong favourite "That's My
Home" in cooperation with Ben Ellison.
Warren Vaché Sr's fine book 'The Unsung Songwriters' has an interesting
page and a half on the René team.
Kind regards,
Bill.
PS: I just did a quick internet search and came up with an 'Index of
Compositions Performed by Hobart Dotson' which includes "Skip The
Gutter" with composer credit to Otis René.
Was this your information source?
Trumpet man Hobart Dotson played and recorded with trumpet playing
bandleader Gerald Wilson in 1945.
The sessions are on a French Classics CD 976.
One of the sessions includes "Skip The Gutter" along with "I Gotta
Right to Sing the Blues" and "I'll String Along With You", so it MAY be
our OUR Louis' tune incorrectly credited.
Over to those on the list less mouldy than me who may have the Classics
CD.
Bill.