[Dixielandjazz] Saving You tube and other videos

Don Robertson jdrobertson at att.net
Sat Mar 1 22:18:13 PST 2008

I've been following the thread on Saving You Tube videos, and now I'm
confused.

I downloaded RealPlayer 11, the free,bare bones, version and was
delighted to be able to download several videos, including the one of
Kash's Canal Street Band.  But, the downloaded videos are .flv files.  I
then saw the post by Graham Martin about VDownloader, and thought this
was a program that would CONVERT the .flv files to Avi or something I
could then burn to a
DVD with Movie Maker or Roxio Media Creator.  Apparently this just
downloads the same videos from You Tube into avi, which I guess is
alright, except I have a bunch of flv files I've already downloaded, and
the pop up button right on YouTube is less involved than using
VDownloader.  Are there any (preferably free) programs that do convert
directly from flv to avi?  BTW, what can you do with .flv files?  I
guess you can just play them on RealPlayer.

Don Robertson