[Dixielandjazz] Sextette from Hunger

Don Ingle dingle at nomadinter.net
Sat Mar 1 11:05:26 PST 2008

What I remember best of Thow was that he was the only trumpt cornet)
player onthe Dorsey Bros. record of Weary Blues. And as a trumper/Cornet
picker I still marel at this chops on that cuts. Never ending, lip
flexability stamina beyond most mere mortals.
Joe Yukl's amazing octave drops heard best on Jump side of Body and Soul.
I also remember him at the LA Loca 47 summer picic at Pops Willow Famr
or pond at Sun Valley inthe 40's. Many sets by good players all ove
rthe-lave, snd he suddenly leaped to a stage where Ted Vesley's band
wasplaying, came to the mile with a big pitcher of beer in his hand, up
ended it and drakin down in about 12 seconds, then laned into theMike
and gave the loudest belch I ever heard -- and believe me I have heard some.
Jimm Doresy has his band there and had the "Oignal Dorserland Jazz Band:
small unit with Charlie Teagarden. The played some rip and roar stuff
that the general audiences of the day never got to hear.
It was a time to be there and gorw up among the giants, to learn from
them, be inspried by them, and maybe get enough absorbed to hve a share
of the playing when the pup got full grown.
By the way, ff Bob Roman is lurking, have him tell  Scottish friend that
the next time he passes Auchendinny, say high to any Ingles he comes
across for me. My ancestrial roots came from there and other Lothian
parts a few generations ago.
Don Ingle