[Dixielandjazz] Al Grey playing Dixieland

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 29 20:18:49 PDT 2008

Trumpeter is Mike Vax on that clip. I agree that sitting in with a
Dixieland Band may not necessarily mean playing Dixieland, but then
what would you call what Al Grey (and Mike Vax) are playing with
Benko. And what is Benko Dixieland Band playing?

Then too, I saw/heard Al Grey playing Dixieland in NYC, just like Roy
Eldridge and Coleman Hawkins and many others not necessarily thought
of as Dixieland musicians did, when their big band jobs evaporated.

Eldridge once had the following conversation with a trad fan who heard
him at Jimmy Ryan's  joint in the 1970s.

Fan:  "Hey Roy, sounds great. I didn't know you were a Dixieland
player."

Roy: "I've been playing what you call Dixieland all my life."

Some media types categorized the music that he played at Ryan's as
that which" fell between swing and Dixieland". His group there was Joe
Muranyi, reeds; Bobby Pratt, trombone; Dick Katz, piano; Major Holley,
Bass; and Eddie Locke, drums. Sure as hell sounded like Dixieland to
me every time I  visited. And, I never  could figure out just what the
hell music "between Swing and Dixieland" could possibly be.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone