[Dixielandjazz] The Montreal Jazz Festival - World's Largest?

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 28 11:19:35 PDT 2008

Jerry Brown wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Have to put my piece in here. Maybe The Montreal event
> ought to be described as the the 'Largest Festival in
> the World which calls itself a Jazz Festival" because
> at having looked through the full list of performers
> the actual jazz content (of any style) would appear to
> be well under 50%. Folk music, out-and-out pop;
> musical theatre and what seems to be popularly known
> as 'world music' (as opposed to what? Inter-galatic
> music!) seems to predominate.
>
> A further example of the bastardisation of the word
> 'jazz'!
>
> Interesting that one of the  most expensive of the
> ticketed events (the majority are free which is the
> easiest way to attract big crowds after all) is the
> concert by a third-rate clarinet player who if he had
> to rely on his musical skill rather than his fame in
> other areas would find it difficult to attract an
> audience of 25 to a pub bar on a wet Sunday afternoon.

I mostly agree with you Jerry, but then  the bastardation of  the
word"Jazz", has been going on for almost a century.

Do disagree about Woody. After all, show business is show business and
he does a pretty fair imitation of British Trad. (only kidding). His
ticket prices are simply a function of supply (seats) and demand
(audience).

IMO, whatever makes folks want to see/hear his band is up to them.
People were paying to see him play club dates long before he went on
to fame and fortune as a film star/writer/actor/comic. If he can now
get $100+ for a single show ticket, more power to him.

The interesting part of that article, at least to me, was the $25
million operating budget, 40% of which is provided by corporate
sponsors. That plus the figure of $100 million that the attendees
spend in the city. And that the company that presents it, is a profit
making venture. Seems to be a win-win situation for everyone involved
including the audience. It is a great party.

Even if only 200 bands, out of 500 groups performing, are some form of
jazz, that's a lot. Hard to tell looking at the performer list. I was
even surprised that there are several other Dixieland and/or New
Orleans Bands besides Woody Allen, playing there.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

www.barbonestreet.com
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband