[Dixielandjazz] A Night at Nick's

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 27 13:16:47 PDT 2008

> "Marek Boym" <marekboym at gmail.com> wrote
>
> Hello listmates,
> If you have not yet heard the programme, better hurry - it's
> excellent, and will enable you to hear Steve Barbone reminiscing about
> Nick's.

Thanks Marek.

But more importantly, you'll hear Johnny Varro and others reminiscing
and you'll hear some mighty good music from Jim Cullum's Band with
Kenny Davern, Ken Peplowski and others. Plus some wonderful clarinet
by Sidney Bechet, circa 1940.  Bechet was a regular at Nick's early on
appearing there with a conventional trio, and then later with his
quartet which included 2 electric guitars.  (early 1940's I think)
Quite a modern set-up for those days.

There is a neat story on the show about Teagarden showing up one night
that Bechet was there with his trio. Teagarden and a gal, sat
listening for a few minutes, then Tea went and got his horn from the
car. He then proceeded to play a one hour duet with Bechet from his
table.

That little blurb of mine about Tony Sbarbaro was fun and you can
imagine how exciting it was for me to meet,  talk with, and get to
know a guy who was there with the ODJB at the very beginning of
recorded jazz.

The drummer in the band I played with back then, (Dick Sherman) took
some lessons from Sbarbaro. Tony, who was always interested in helping
young musicians, did not charge him. He told Dick who lived 50 miles
away on Long Island, from Tony's pad in NYC:

"Just buy the train tickets (Long Island RR) for me and my wife. Meet
me at your train station. Your wife can make tea and crumpets for them
while you and I fool around on your drums."

And so it was. Sbarbaro & wife would travel to Dick's cottage in
Bayshore, overlooking the Great South Bay, late Saturday mornings, and
then back to NYC in the late afternoon to make his Nick's gig. It was
a nice outing for his wife who enjoyed the repartee and some time in
the countryside of the South Shore.

He gave Dick about 10 lessons and then said: "Well, you've absorbed
all I can teach you and you keep good time. There is no sense
continuing lessons with me".

Tony Sbarbaro (Spargo) a wonderful drummer and a wonderful man. Full
of life and full of humor.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

www.barbonestreet.com