[Dixielandjazz] The Perfect Recording

Dick Sleeman dick at sleeman.nl
Wed Jun 25 04:48:52 PDT 2008

Ken wrote a.o.:

>>I'd rather hear a recording played with conviction, originality and
> passion, but with imperfections, than something that had all the soul edited
> out of it in the studio in the pursuit of perfection.
> Ken Mathieson

During my years as a recording engineer at one time I worked with only one
musician in the studio, to record some tracks over the already made rhythm
tracks. He played one mistake during the rehearsel and again the same faulty
note during the first take. When he asked whether the take was OK, I suggested
to do it once more without mentioning the wrong note. During the second take he
made the same mistake, so I stopped and asked him if he knew he played a wrong
note. He answered: "Yes, I know, but it's in the score!" (he didn't think much
of the arranger who wasn't present, and persisted to play it as written :-))

Up until today, when the song is played over the radio, we are the only ones who
still hear this note!

Dick Sleeman