[Dixielandjazz] Could James Morrison play Dixieland? (Stephen G Barbone)

Graham Martin grahmartin at bigpond.com
Mon Jun 23 20:47:22 PDT 2008

Hey Guys,

Get real!

James Morrison started out more or less playing Dixieland and he has made several excellent recordings doing such.

The 'Hot' CD from the "Three Minds" set is a tribute to Louis Armstrong. I am not saying this one is great Dixieland. But it even has banjo and tuba - although I would prefer it didn't. The tunes are:

Muskat Ramble
St James Infirmary
Making Whoopie
Our Love Is Here To Stay
When The Saints Go Marching In
What A Wonderful World
Undecided
Mack The Knife
Slow Boat To China
Stompin' At The Savoy
Indiana
Give Me A Kiss To Build A Dream On
Hello Dolly

And he still blisters the paint off the walls!

What you have to remember is that James is a consummate entertainer and not always interested in playing tasteful authentic jazz. But in a more creative mode he is a monster jazz improviser. Actually I prefer him on trombone to trumpet.

Re Bill Watrous. I don't like that high-note doodling for which he is famous and which the kids prefer to hear. But a younger Bill Watrous playing the Nestico slow ballad "Samantha" is so beautiful it makes me want to cry. Sorry about the video quality:

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMD2N4Seug8

Best,

Grah

Graham Martin