[Dixielandjazz] Could James Morrison Play Dixieland?

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 14:31:21 PDT 2008

OK, this is a listener's experience.  But I have heard quite a few
"modernists" attempting to play "traditional," and fail, proficient as
they might have been.  And even if, on the first hearing, it was
flashy and ear-catching, on the third it became boring.  Playing "too
many notes, too fast" (Armstron's description, and who am I to
disagree with Him) does not mean one can play hot and from the heart.
Marsalis can, but there aren't that many Marsalises.
Anyway, I have heard Morrison live and on the radio, and utterly
disliked his playing (did I mention the quantity of notes and the
speed?).
Cheers