[Dixielandjazz] Edison Cylinders

Ulf Jagfors ulf.jaegfors at telia.com
Sat Jun 21 11:48:45 PDT 2008

This is a post I answered 2001 on the banjo-L list.

>>Does anybody have information about the first commercial or non-commercial
recording made of a five string banjo being played. And the first
recording of frailing or clawhammer banjo. I suspect the first 5 string
recordings were made of a classical banjoist,
like Vess Osman, but who first put frailing or clawhammer on record.<<

It was most probably,
Will Lyle, solo banjoist. For the Edison cylinder company September 4, 1889
in Orange, N.Y, he recorded a number of tunes on cylinders.
-Banjo Jingles
-Stop That Knocking (well known minstrel song )
-Barn Yard Song
-When Daddy Picked the Old Banjo
-Hunky Dory Darkey
and in October 1, he also recorded
-Cat Song
-Daddy´s Song
-Banjo Solo Medley
-Jawbone
-Roster Song
As they could not make copies all cylinders for sale had to be recorded
individually. He made 64 recordings in one day according to the recording
file.
As far as I understand none of those early recordings have survived, or have
they?

Ulf Jagfors