[Dixielandjazz] James Morrison &Dixieland

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 23 12:44:36 PDT 2008

> Andy.Ling at quantel.com
>
> As ever it is a matter of personal preference. For those that haven't
> heard James Morrison, I would recommend listening to Snappy Doo :-
>
> http://www.jamesmorrison.com/index.php?page=snappy-doo
>
> There are a variety of styles on this album. None are what many
> on this list would describe as Dixieland, but you can hear
> the influences. I would include this in MKOM.
>
> He is certainly a multi-talented guy. On this album alone he plays
> 4 trumpets, 4 trombones, 5 saxes and a piano along with doing most
> of the arrangements.

Also to add some biographical information about James Morrison, he did
his first public performance at age 8. He formed his first band at age
9. The style of that first band, according to biographers was
"Dixieland".

Perhaps some of the older Ozites like Bill H. remember him from when
he was a kid, playing Dixieland? <grin>

Perhaps also, most of the world of OKOM is sort of unfamiliar with
this great player? He has legendary stature among the more modern jazz
community who probably also overlook his early years as a Dixieland
musician/band leader.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

www.barbonestreet.com