[Dixielandjazz] Street Gigs

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 20 10:31:57 PDT 2008

Barbone Street does an annual gig in a courtyard between two 20 story
buildings on Market Street In Philadelphia each year. Just 4 blocks
from City Hall in center city. Police Cars, Hospital emergency
vehicles and Fire Engines go by routinely during our time there. Noon
to 1:30 PM. As Bob Ringwald says, in that situation, the band just
enjoys the street sounds and adapts our notes to the wail of the bells
and whistles of these vehicles.

When the sirens would go off, our late trombonist Glenn Dodson would
put the trombone on top of his head, facing the audience, with his
left hand, and make crank turning motions with his right hand while
humming (high pitched) into his mic.

This year's gig is July 30, Commerce Square, between 20th and 21st
Street 50 feet off Market Street. If you are in Philly, come on by.

Regarding my complaint at the Old King jazz festival about noise, I
would remind those who think that was wrong that Main Street was
supposed to be CLOSED TO ALL VEHICLES until the jazz festival was
over. There were pedestrians in the street. We were playing American
Songbook jazz with a trio 20 feet from the curb. The street sweeper
truck was not supposed to be there. It was, dodging pedestrians as
well as completely drowning out our music. We had to stop. It pissed
off our seated audience of about 150, as well as the kids and adults
strolling by, who had to scramble out of the way  Who among you
wouldn't have bitched about that? It was a very dangerous situation.

The vehicle operator and sweeper was not supposed to be there until
8:30 PM, all music having ended by 8:00PM and the street to be
reopened to vehicles at 9:00 PM. He got there at about 7:15 PM and
decided on his own to start immediately and see if he could end early.
It was a very stupid move on his part and the town officials were also
quite upset about it..

Normal street noise? Shoot, we just play louder or make a joke of it,
having done quite a few of them every year for the past two decades.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

www.barbonestreet.com
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband