[Dixielandjazz] Street Gigs

EDWIN COLTRIN boreda at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 19 19:35:34 PDT 2008

Yes Scott, Turntable Junction and the other which I can't remember, do make for interesting listenning. As a Volunteer <Constructiom< for many years, I always thought that it added a little something special during a set.
  With the sound of the steam , whistle, bell ringing and the audience all looking at the cars going by..

  Where else but in California

  Slainte.

  .Ye Olde Mouldy Fygge

  Ed Coltrin

Scott Anthony <santh at comcast.net> wrote:
  At least 2 venues in Old Town Sacramento at the Jubiliee are right next to
the station where tour trains headed by steam and diesel locomotives arrive
and depart. Between those venues is a pedestrian crossing and the
locomotives are required to sound their horns and whistles, both coming and
going. There is no way to avoid having a steam locomotive interrupt a tune
with whistles and hissing steam, possiblly a number of times during a set.
There is also the paddle-wheeler, and don't forget the Freeway Gardens venue
which is directly beneath the 12 lanes of Interstate 5.

We just shrug our shoulders and grin and bear it. I personally can't imagine
complaining about it or about traffic noise playing on a street for that
matter. I mean, please, a street is a street, and it usually has traffic. We
just play around whatever noise there might be.

Scott Anthony