[Dixielandjazz] Vale Roger Bell

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Thu Jun 19 14:39:52 PDT 2008

Dear friends,
Further to my report regarding Roger Bell's death, I have been advised
by Graeme Bell that the funeral will be held on:
Monday 23 June 2008
12 noon
Le Pine Funerals
981 Burke Road, Camberwell,
[Melbourne] Victoria.
Following the service, refreshments will be served
(probably) at the nearby Palace Hotel in Burke Road, Camberwell.
Kind regards,
Bill.

ROGER BELL
Roger Bell (born: Melbourne, Victoria.  4 Jan. 1919) was Graeme Bell’s
younger brother. With Ade Monsbourgh and friends he discovered jazz on
radio and records in 1932, while at school. He began playing drums in
1935, formed a band with Graeme, playing local dances and took up
cornet in 1938. Apart from a period in 1943 during the war the
brothers’ musical activities were linked until the famous Graeme Bell
Australian Jazz Band broke up in September 1952. Roger left jazz music
for a while, then joined Max Collie’s Rhythm Aces. He worked with
various bands until becoming a member of the Melbourne Jazz Club house
band in June 1958. This band evolved into Frank Traynor’s Jazz
Preachers and Roger remained with them until mid 1967. He recorded
between 1949 and 1980 with his Pagan Pipers, freelanced during the
1970s and made overseas playing trips in 1976 and 1981. He was still
active on the Australian jazz scene up until the mid-late 1990s and a
regular and popular performer at the annual Australian Jazz Convention
and Australian jazz festivals.  Rude health (to borrow the name of his
1968 original composition) eventually forced Roger into reluctant
retirement. He died on Tuesday, 17 June 2008 following a long illness.
He was a dear friend with a great sense of humour, a passionate and
dedicated supporter of Australian jazz, a popular and enthusiastic
performer, innovator, prolific composer and extremely knowledgeable
regarding our music, its history and importance.
©Bill Haesler OAM. 2008