[Dixielandjazz] Cutting Contests was "Axe"

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 15 07:29:19 PDT 2008

For more information about "cutting contests" see:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m2838/is_2_38/ai_n8685605/pg_7

Then once you read that page, click on "next", or "8", etc.  at the
bottom of the page for the continuation of the article on cutting
contests.

Back in the 1940s and 50s, I was lucky enough to witness some of the
friendlier informal cutting contests during jam sessions at Loft
parties in  New York City. The music that emanated from them was
incredible.

I don't know the derivation of the word "axe" regarding one's horn,
but do know that when a musician was trying to improve his/her playing
skills, he/she would "woodshed", whereby using an axe is a natural.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.barbonestreet.com
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband