[Dixielandjazz] 3-year life of hard drives?

Charlie Hull charliehull7920 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jun 14 16:50:46 PDT 2008

That's the first I've heard of recommended replacement life period for a
hard drive. It depends on the manufacturing quality of the unit, the
frequency of use, how well the drive was maintained, and it's operating
environment; High heat will hasten it's demise.. It's true that the
typical drive has moving parts, which make it eventually susceptible to
mechanical failure. Non-moving parts such as electronic components are
also subject to failure.

They're now making hard drives using memory instead of rotating disks
and heads. No moving parts. They're now available only in relatively low
capacities and haven't been out long enough to judge their long-term
reliability.

Routinely backing up to an external hard drive or to an Internet backup
service will continue to be good insurance with any kind of internal
storage device.

Charlie Hull
Ringwald wrote:

I recently lost my hard drive.  A computer tech was able to save it and
save the info on it.  He told me that he suggests getting a new hard
drive every 3-years.  This is because the hard drive is the only moving
part of a computer. The question is not "If it will fail" but "When will
it fail." Of course he also suggests doing backups faithfully.