[Dixielandjazz] speaking of vernacular

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Thu Jun 12 20:18:55 PDT 2008

If you want to stick to the straight definition and historical significance
of "swing" then you are 100% right but at the same time you are 100% wrong.

Please step into the language and world of jazz.

Jazz musicians for as long as I remember have used the words "to swing" or
"he swings" as meaning a good competent musician who is in the know and
understands jazz and this is applied to other types of musicians who aren't
necessarily jazz musicians such as some rock or blues musicians.  The
expression "he's a swinger" doesn't necessarily mean that he has group sex
with other couples either although taken literally it could mean that.  When
a jazz musician says "he cooks" doesn't mean he's a master chef or works at
McDonalds either.

I know of no other expression that musicians use that denotes the same thing
or is used in the same way.

I do realize that there are expressions that mean one thing in one area but
not another.  I'm pretty sure it's used this way in big cities but may not
be true elsewhere.

I was interested in the origin of the word Axe.  As in bring your Axe.
Another universal is the word horn.  Bring your horn is not an invitation to
French or English horn players only but includes drummers and others too.
It's sort of a musical short hand or slang that musicians use and none of it
can be interpreted literally because on the good side it makes no sense and
on the bad side can give you the exact wrong meaning.

The worst cut a jazz musician can use is that someone doesn't swing.  Ya
Dig? (oops, sorry, I'll have everyone reaching for a shovel if I'm not
careful)
Larry
StL