[Dixielandjazz] The ultimate Show Band?

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed Jun 11 20:35:11 PDT 2008

  David Richoux wrote:
> I heard that there is an Australian traveling show "Circus Oz," (sort
> of like Cirque Du Soleil, but stranger) that has the band really get
> into the act like that. It came through San Francisco recently but I
> didn't get to see it.

Dear Dave,
There is indeed and, as we say here, it's bloody good.
More traditional circus (sans animules) than Cirque Du Soleil.
The daughter of English jazz pianist Johnny Parker (Humprey Lyttelton,
Monty Sunshine, Kenny Ball, etc) and her husband are/ were with Circus
OZ for several years.
For a time Christa a year or so back, the daughter of Australian
pianist/bandleader Dick Hughes (Port Jackson Jazz Band, Ray Prive,
etc.) was ringmaster for Circus Oz.
So there is a jazz connection.
Kind regards,
Bill.