[Dixielandjazz] axe?

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Tue Jun 10 15:25:23 PDT 2008

ROBERT R. CALDER wrote [in part]:
> The obscure ragtime banjoist Tom A. Hawke, perhaps?
> ........there are a few early blues recordings with nice somewhat
> Mortonesque piano accompaniment by a Memphis-based performer called
> Edward Hatchett.

Good one Robert!
I actually had my Godrich & Dixon 'Blues and Gospel Records'
discography open at the index when the penny dropped regarding Thomas
Hawke.
8>)
So far as Edward Hatchett on those 1930 Kaiser Clifton sides is
concerned I agree, nice stuff, but wouldn't describe his 'axe' as
'Mortonesque'.  Except perhaps for a glimmer in "Teach Me Right From
Wrong".
Kind regards,
Bill.