[Dixielandjazz] tenor 17 or 19 fret

Mattias Hallin cmhallin at algonet.se
Sun Jun 8 00:19:06 PDT 2008

8 jun 2008 kl. 02.37 Joe Gerwood wrote:

> Any ideas on a Deering Boston tenor banjo for Dixieland? Which
> would give a better sound and easier to play, a 17 fret or 19 fret?
> I use a Deering Goodtime 17 fret tenor now. Thanks

Conventionally speaking, of the two a 19 fret tenor is considered the
more "fullgrown" and better option for playing jazz, whereas the 17
fret tends to be more associated with Irish folk music and the like.
For ease of playing there is no major difference between the two,
except of course that the 19 fret gives you a whole tone more of
range. Sound-wise, I'd say it depends more on the individual
instrument, although the fact that the 19 fret has a longer tessiture
also means that you have to put that much more tension on the
strings, which (all else being equal) should mean a tad more of the
typical cut-through tenor sound.

Personally, of the various instruments I've played, I have usually
preferd 19 fret tenors, but ultimately the choice is yours: "better"
is a subjective judgement, and in my opinion the best thing for you
to do would be to try both options, at the least in a store if not on
the bandstand, and decide for yourself which one *you* think is
easier to play and/or sounds better.

All the best,

/Mattias

---
Mattias Hallin · Brussels · Belgium · <cmhallin at algonet.se>

"Oh bury me thar! With my battered git-tar!
A-screamin' my heart out fer yew!"