[Dixielandjazz] Trombone styles

Anton Crouch anton.crouch at optusnet.com.au
Fri Jun 6 17:23:19 PDT 2008

Hello all

I'm just catching-up on last week's posts and have been particularly
interested in the "trombone" thread.

The idea that the "tailgate style" is one of the indicators of New
Orleans jazz does not mean that the style necessarily originated there.
Trombone "smears" (shorter than, but similar to, tailgate slides) are
common in band music from the turn of the 19th to 20th century. A good
example is the Victor Military Band recording of "Slippery place rag",
NY, 27 September 1911.

The praise for Miff Mole is very good to see. How is it possible that
such a fine player is now virtually forgotten? I remember being quite
shocked to find that, although in the photograph, he was totally ignored
by the makers of the documentary film "A great day in Harlem".

All the best,
Anton