[Dixielandjazz] New Jazz Education Network

Dave Stoddard dhs2 at peoplepc.com
Wed Jun 4 13:37:37 PDT 2008

The verbiage below arrived in my mailbox via Kentonia.

Dave Stoddard
The  Jazz Education Network is Launched!

The Jazz  Education Network (JEN) newly formed on June 1st. The association
will be  focused on advancing and expanding jazz education, jazz performance
opportunities and jazz audiences.

More than 35  leaders from the jazz education community and its affiliated
industries gathered  in suburban Chicago to discuss the need for an
organization
geared to serve  professionals in the jazz education field. The meetings
were
facilitated by Gene  Wenner of Arts & Education Consultants. After two days
of discussion and  deliberations, the group enthusiastically agreed to form
Jazz Education  Network.

"The outcome of  this meeting was clear," said Mary Jo Papich, president of
JEN. "There is a  burning need to help build a strong community in jazz
education. There is a void  that must be filled. Our goal is to be an
essential
resource for anyone involved  in or with jazz education."

The mission  statement for the organization states: The Jazz Education
Network is dedicated to  building the jazz arts community by advancing
education,
promoting performance  and developing new audiences.
"We understand  that this is a monumental endeavor," said Papich. "But it is
vitally important  this work be done. Collaborating together, our goal is to
support a strong and  well-equipped community that meets the needs of 21st
century  education.  We will strive to be  inclusive, rather than exclusive.
As a
result, jazz education can have a positive impact on the lives of  many more
students of all backgrounds. We will work to identify and inspire new
audiences.  Our goal is to help  focus the creative power, grace and beauty
of jazz
that expands far beyond  playing the music and into what makes a life well
lived."

In addition to  electing Papich as president, the Network's initial board
will include Lou  Fischer as vice president, Bruce Silva as treasurer and
Julie
Traenkenschuh as  secretary.   Papich is the  Fine Arts Chair at Highland
Park High School and Focus on the
Arts Festival  Director in Highland Park, Ill. Fischer is a leading jazz
educator who serves as  Professor of Music at Capital University
Conservatory of
Music in Columbus,  Ohio. Silva is Vice President of Buffet Crampon USA in
Jacksonville, Fla., and  Traenkenschuh is Director of Bands at Woodruff High
School
in Peoria,  IL.

Temporary  Volunteer Board Members present agreed to hold office until after
the first  meeting of the membership includes:
Jim Widner (MO)                     Steve Crissinger (OH)
Paul Chiaravelle (IL)                Ruben Alvarez  (IL)
Paris Rutherford (TX)              Andrew Surmani (CA)
Rick Kessel      (MA)               Michael Kenyon (IN)
Dan Gregerman (IL)                Bob Breithaupt (OH)
Ellen Rowe (MI)                     Jarrard Harris (IL)

The Network is  in the process of filing for non-profit organization status.
Once complete, it  will begin the work of developing programs, events and
attracting  membership. A website will  be up shortly at www.jazzednet.org
that will provide
organizational  updates and membership information to start.  Stay tuned!

Contact:  Mary Jo Papich, 224-765-2161, _mjpapich at yahoo.com_
(mailto:mjpapich at yahoo.com)