[Dixielandjazz] Grass Roots Promotion

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 3 07:43:15 PDT 2008

Below note from a college student taking a summer music course
illustrates how bands might further the growth of OKOM in their local
areas. The "WXPN" she refers to is the University of Pennsylvania's
radio station. The local concert venue she refers to is Mount Carmel
Presbyterian Church. She first heard our music on "myspace".

There are many ways to promote a band. Luckily we perform in an area
where there are several colleges/universities etc., and have listed
our selves on their websites and their radio stations where possible
etc.  Getting to a young audience is not an accident, but rather the
result of a little activism on our part. Easy to do and gratifying
when things like the below happen. It is amazing how many students are
taking music, and/or jazz courses. It is gratifying that they love
OKOM, ask us about Louis Armstrong et al, and remain in our local
audiences.

Another Idea: Put your CDs on consignment in the College Bookstores.
Our "Barbone Street Live at West Chester University"  CD made in 2003
still sells well in that bookstore.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.barbonestreet.com