[Dixielandjazz] Jack Jenny - was Trombone Style Change

Stan Brager sbrager at socal.rr.com
Mon Jun 2 16:33:35 PDT 2008

Ken;

Jenny had nothing to do with the stylistic change of the trombone from that
evident on recordings with Kid Ory. That change had already been adopted by
most modern (late '20s) trombonists when Jenny came on the scene in the
early '30s.

Jenny was in the later group which also included J. C. Higginbotham, Sonny
Lee, Lawrence Brown, Dicky Wells, Will Bradley and Joe Yucl among others.
Jenny wasn't under-rated as much as he was forgotten except for his solo on
Artie Shaw's "Stardust" and, possibly, his recordings with the Red Norvo and
His Swing small group recordings in 1934. "The Night Is Blue" and "Old
Fashioned Love" are excellent examples. Norvo has been quoted as saying this
about Jack Jenney, "his sound is so good, he was so fluent and he moved so
easy." These are my favorite Jenny cuts.

Many have heard Jenny play "Stardust" on recordings of his own band. At
least, one of them belong in every trombonist's collection in my mind.
However, I don't rate his band as an example of a first-rate swing band -
which is probably why his name doesn't come to mind as quickly as others.

Stan
Stan Brager