[Dixielandjazz] Sibellious, Encore or Finale or ???

Bruce Stangeland stangeland at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 2 16:28:04 PDT 2008

Scott,

For over ten years I've been using first Allegro and then Finale on my Mac.
I find that Finale allows me to get as fancy as I want to with my lead
sheets (or not).

It was fun seeing you in Sacramento.

Bruce Stangeland

--------------------

Message: 14
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 10:32:19 -0700
From: "Scott Anthony" <santh at comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Dixielandjazz] Sibellious, Encore or Finale or ???
To: <dwlit at cpcug.org>
	<dixielandjazz at ml.islandnet.com>

I gave up using Encore (admittedly a very old version) because it crashed on
Windows 2000 and the then-publishers said they had no plans to fix it.
Apparently, the people who bought or took over Encore must have really gone
in an fixed a bunch of bugs. Nevertheless, since then I've used Finale and
it has been great. Finale will also import Encore files although not
perfectly.

I was on the team that wrote the Windows and Mac versions of the
GuitarVision.com guitar tutor player (free to download at GuitarVision.com
by the way). My role was to write the software tools to read Sibellius
generated midi files and add proprietary midi-like codes for bending
strings, hammer-on, and pull-off, etc. specific to guitar playing. We were
given Sibellius to play with even though we really didn't need to use it
directly in the work. I found Sibellius to be difficult to learn after
working with Encore and Finale, which are much closer to each other than to
Sibellius in user-interface, layout, and just overall "concept." If anyone
is thinking about "moving up" from Encore for some reason, Finale would
require a much easier learning curve in my opinion.

Scott Anthony