[Dixielandjazz] Sibellious, Encore or Finale or ???

Charlie Hull charliehull7920 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 2 15:39:46 PDT 2008

I just downloaded, installed and browsed through the new trial version
of Encore. The motivation was from their 'new features' list; the
alleged ability to export Encore files to XML. The latter is a .pdf-type
universal format for transferring files between Finale, Sibelius and
other music scoring programs. I've used Encore since the Passport days
and have a large library of files I've created and want to transfer into
Sibelius.

The demo version of Encore lists no export to XML, only the
long-existing export to EPS. I sent them an inquiry asking how to invoke
the XML exportation feature, but have as yet received no reply.

A few years back I purchased Finale and a subsequent upgrade based
solely on it's alleged ability to import Encore files, which it did but
on a primitive basis -- only the notes, chord symbols and lyrics -- all
out of vertical kilter. No repeats, endings, expression marks, etc.
Cleaning up the importations was too time consuming to be practical. I
found the learning curve too steep on Finale, and finally purchased
Sibelius, with which I'm satisfied. It took a little time to get used
to, but does so many things better than, and does so many more things
than Encore that the training time was a good investment. Sibelius will
import and export XML, but not Encore.

If Encore will really export to XML I'll buy the upgrade just to get my
Encore library converted to XML and Sibelius.

I really like Encore's creation procedures, but dislike it's
instability. I have to save work every fifteen minutes or so because
I've lost complex charts when Encore just freezes and hangs up my
computer. I have to reboot and lose all my work since the last file
save. My computer has large storage and memory capacity and a fast
processor. Gvox has been unresponsive to my trouble-shooting inquiries.
Another major annoyance of Encore is the shifting of lyrics and hyphens
when you Select All and change key signature, requiring readjustment to
get rid of the overlaps. I haven't experienced that with Sibelius.

Charlie Hull