[Dixielandjazz] Bo Diddley and other absent friends

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Mon Jun 2 13:13:33 PDT 2008

I should imagine posters to this site might be amused
at my recollection of playing to a friend Bo Diddley's
subtle and viciously incisive satire of Nashvileness
or Gnashville, cliche-perfect.  Also in the room was a
nice old man accustomed to drinking in pubs where the
cowboy whine was common.
What was so funny about Bo's record? he asked, saying
that he'd heard lots like it.  Bo also said that he
played what he played because he wasn't good enough to
play anything better. I do remember a fiddle solo
among all these records which shared my early youth
with Acker Bilk.  Bo was genuine,

even without the musical gifts of Danny Moss (whose
video for folks scared of chemotherapy is on YouTube,
and whose playing is on some Alex Welsh recordings)

or the musical and other gifts of Campbell Burnap,
last man I know of to have mounted a BOLDEN CYLINDER
DISCOVERED skit on a broadcast medium.

Memory can still make us smile.