[Dixielandjazz] Yahoo! News Story - Rock pioneer Bo Diddley dies at age 79 - Yahoo! News

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Mon Jun 2 11:33:14 PDT 2008

Bo Diddley was possibly the first musician to successfully take the
basic New Orleans Street Beat into the R&B and R&R formats. I have
some early rock 'n' roll recordings from other New Orleans musicians
(late 40s into the mid-1950s) who were mostly one-hit wonders, but
he, Fats Domino, and somewhat Jerry Lee Lewis managed to go "nation-
wide" with that rhythm. Louis Prima and Louis Jordan came close, but
their signature rhythms were not quite the same thing.

Of corse, I wasn't around (or at least, musically aware) for many of
those years, so I may be missing some now forgotten trailblazer ;-)

Dave Richoux