[Dixielandjazz] Chuck Reiley

Don Ingle dingle at nomadinter.net
Tue Jul 29 13:50:00 PDT 2008

Dan Augustine wrote:
>     This sad news just arrived: Chuck Reiley passed away this morning.
>     Chuck Reiley was the leader of the Alamo City Jazz Band in San
> Antonio, Texas.  He was 82 years old and together with Jim Cullum Sr.
> helped get traditional jazz off the ground in central Texas in the
> early 1960s.  There was a good writeup on him and his career in the
> November 2004 issue of _The Mississippi Rag_.  More details as they
> become available.
>
>     Dan
Many of us in Michigan will mourn the passing of Chuck Reilly, whio was
not only a fine trombonist and jazz band leader, but he was a
Michigander, bred and born. He came from Bellaire, a small Victorian
northern Michigan village close to ski runs and trout streams, about an
hour out of traverse City, MI.

My early band, the Jack Pine Savages, and later the Michigan Nighthawks
played opposite of Chuck and crew -- Bobby Black one of them -- at Boyne
Mt. a ski and golf resort near Bellaire and Chuck would also come home
in the summer for a little cool and fresh Michigan air and to renew his
own license as a Jack Pine Savage from the Paul Bunyon country.

I will be passing on the sad news to Bud Becktold, clarinetist and
leader of the Episilon Jazz Band of the Petoskey area who was a
life-long friend of Chuck's.

So once again we lose a good one. But Chuck will be remembered here and
in Texas with eqaully good memories.

Thanks, Dan -- sad news, but still needed to be passed on so old friends
will know and add a prayer. One can wonder which Chuck the Lord needed
the most -- a good dentist or a good tailgater? I think the later.

Don Ingle