[Dixielandjazz] Review of Bix Fest in Davenport Iowa

Bruce Stangeland stangeland at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 28 16:05:02 PDT 2008

Mike,

I'm sorry to hear that Jean Kittrell has retired. I enjoyed hearing her
perform in Sacramento in May.
She seemed fine then. I used to seek her out at the Sacramento festival
when John Becker was
the banjoist in her trio, the "Jazz Incredibles". He was a real
inspiration.
I once asked him after a set if he was playing 16th notes. Hes said "no,
they're 32nd notes."
I asked how he got so fast. He said if you keep practicing, you'll get
faster.
I hope he's correct.

The High Sierra also play at Sacramento, and are always great.

Cheers,
Bruce Stangeland
Berkeley banjoist