[Dixielandjazz] Conrad Janis' New Film

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sun Jul 20 14:57:24 PDT 2008

Hello Steve,
You say "It is a great pity that most of the Dixieland output of these
> mainstream players was not recorded, possibly because the record companies
> couldn't see the value of it.  (Black mainstreamers playing Dixieland)"
Well, I remember the Wilbur de Paris Plays Cole Porter album (my
favourite de Paris) being put down in the Jazz Journal on those
grounds  exactly - "what are those mainstreamers doing playing
dixieland!"   Another reason for discrediting that excellent recording
was Lee Blair's banjo - why should mainstream musicians use a banjo in
their band (while not a great banjo fan myself, I protested, arguing
that, when played as Lee Blair did, the banjo was just great).
Cheers