[Dixielandjazz] Playing where the people are

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 17 07:46:34 PDT 2008

Not OKOM, but wouldn't it be nice if we had more concerts like this?
It drew 63,000 people. A great way to get music to the audience. Lots
of kids there.
Note the audience choice of music for the encore. (last paragraph). It
seems to make a case for playing familiar tunes.
Not unlike the many park concerts that OKOM bands do in summer except
they got a larger crowd. <grin>
Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband

July 17, 2008 - NY TIMES - By ANTHONY TOMMASINI
Views Back (and Forward) on an Outdoor Stage (excerpts)
When the conductor Alan Gilbert was a boy, some of his first inspiring
experiences with classical music came from attending the New York
Philharmonic’s concerts in the city’s parks. At the time he was
tagging along with his parents, both violinists in the orchestra, he
explained to the crowd that turned out for Tuesday night’s
Philharmonic concert in Central Park.

“I love the New York Philharmonic, I love New York, I love Central
Park, and I love the Philharmonic’s concerts in the parks,” Mr.
Gilbert told the audience.

Then, after mentioning that his mother, Yoko Takebe, was still playing
with the orchestra, he turned to her and said, “Hi, Mom!,” which
brought applause from all corners of the Great Lawn, where 63,000
people, according to official estimate, had turned out to hear some
music and enjoy the perfect weather.

Mr. Gilbert is poised to become the Philharmonic’s music director in
the fall of 2009. That he was so eager to conduct this summer’s final
park concert, only his second (the first was on Monday night at
Prospect Park in Brooklyn), seemed an encouraging indicator of his
desire to connect with New York audiences.

The concert was terrific. For the first half the enormously popular
young pianist Lang Lang was the soloist in Tchaikovsky’s Piano
Concerto. Onstage was a concert grand of a rich red color. Chinese
Red? . . . snip to

After intermission Mr. Gilbert conducted an intelligent and lively
performance of Beethoven’s Fourth Symphony and ended the program with
a rhapsodic account of Sibelius’s “Finlandia.”

Then came the encore, selected as in earlier concerts this summer by
audience members who chose between two options — the “Toreador’s
Song” (arranged for orchestra) from “Carmen” and Rossini’s “William
Tell” Overture — by sending text messages to an announced address.
Rossini won, and the performance was rousing. And most people stayed
around for the postconcert fireworks display, which looked especially
splendid on this balmy and enjoyable night.

Steve Barbone

www.barbonestreet.com
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband