[Dixielandjazz] Guckenheimer Sour Krauts

Artwoo at aol.com Artwoo at aol.com
Tue Jul 15 00:40:41 PDT 2008

Hi Dave and DJMLers: If I had a time machine I would gladly bring them  back.
Both Darcy (Bob) McDonnell and Dean Coleman were friends of mine.  They were
both excellent trumpet players. Dean and I worked the Alameda County  Fair for
about 5 summers playing in a strolling German Band with some of the  sidemen
and subs of the Guckenheimers; it was great fun playing from the  Whoope John
Wilfart Book and playing Ach Du Lieber Augustine, and other  German warhorses
with these seasoned pros, making the purposeful flub without  insulting the
music.

Dean had the ability to play effortlessly. We would trade the 1st and 2nd
trpt bks each hour. He would throw in a cadenza sometimes without warning  that
was amazing and fit perfectly. Of course the next hour when my  turn came up
on the same tune he would look at me out the corner of his eye  as if to say
"can you top that?" I never could.

I had the honor of working 2 gigs with the Guckenheimers around 1967...one
at a festival in Lake Tahoe at Valhalla (where Godfather II was filmed) and
the other for an art fair at a winery in Livermore, Ca.

Richard Gump, George Lichty, Paul Faria, Dean Coleman and Darcy McDonnell
exhibited comic genius without crossing over to embarrassing  buffoonery to the
delight of the audience. Above all they were musicians.

Respectfully,
Art Wood

In a message dated 7/9/2008 10:11:18 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,