[Dixielandjazz] Them There Eyes

Ken Mathieson ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk
Mon Jul 14 14:57:32 PDT 2008

Hi All,

What a great list!  My thanks to Marian Honeycutt and Dick Skrika for sending copies of the verse post haste! I'm glad I asked now as, in the Louis Armstrong version, the verse is in a different key from the opening chorus and has been used to modulate into Louis' vocal key. It's a nice effect, but kind oif pointless if I've got to get back to the original key for the rest of the chart.

Cheers,

Ken Mathieson

>snip
Does anyone have a lead sheet for the verse to Them There Eyes? I've got a
chart to write for a concert in Edinburgh Jazz Festival at the end of the
month and thought it would be good to include the verse. The version on
Satchmo's Musical Autobiography is only 8 bars but I suspect from its
structure that the original verse is 16 bars. I could take it down from the
Armstrong recording, but I prefer to know if it's correct. Thanks in
advance.

Ken Mathieson

www.classicjazzorchestra.org.uk