[Dixielandjazz] Pointless Definitions

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 13:52:35 PDT 2008

Sure sounds like the Victor, albeir with inferior sound!
It's a French issue, the exact title being "Autour avec Sydney Bechet
- Concerts Public," Delta UM 3400.  The title in question is The Sheik
of Araby, and it is described as "enregistrement public datant de 1945
a New York" (not being a French speaker I still understand that it
means "a public recording in New York dating to 1945 "), whereas the
date of the Victor is April 18, 1941.
One might have thought it was a pirate issued, except that the
importer was the same company that imported (and pressed in Israel as
well) RCA Victor records!
And no, there's no applause.
The LP also includes "Darktown Strutters Ball" by Sydney (sic)  Bechet
and His Bluenote (sic) Jazzmen, recorded October 12, 1945, with
personnel identical to that of Art Hodes Hot Five, recorded on the
same date, and apparently the same, too.
I'm afraid all that confounds the issue.
Anyway, there are some tracks actually recorded live, although, I'm
afraid, most tracks come from Rudi Blesh's "This Is Jazz" broadcasts.
Cheers,
Marek