[Dixielandjazz] Conrad Janis - Was Trio in Ragtime

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 9 12:02:35 PDT 2008

> "Ron Wheeler" <ronald_wheeler at bellsouth.net> wrote
>

> Conrad may well play the cornet, but he is best known as a
> trombonist.  He
> used to hang around these parts.  Haven't heard from him in some
> time.  Hope
> he's doing well.

Trombonist Conrad Janis is in LA area somewhere. (or Beverly Hills?)

I last heard from him about 6 months ago. He was doing well and still
playing with The Beverly Hills Unlisted Jazz Band on occasion..

In the late 1940s, early 50s he had a GREAT band in NYC and regular
gigs at the Central Plaza and Ryan's.

He mixed New Orleans revival with the blues using some Kansas City
Black players who played Dixieland when the big bands died. He and his
band were an incredible influence on many players who were learning at
that time.

Great energy, verve and inventiveness. It is a Dixieland Chapter that
has yet to be written, IMO. Those of us who heard that wonderful band
in New York at that time well appreciate what he did for the music and
were fortunate to hear it.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

www.barbonestreet.com