[Dixielandjazz] the "trio" in Ragtime ?

Robert Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Wed Jul 9 11:20:49 PDT 2008

 Marek Boym <wrote:

>  Harriet Janis was Rudi's partner not only in writing THEY ALL PLAYED
> RAGTIME, but also, I believe, in Circle records, which recorded some
> very good jazz (not always "strictly from Dixie," despite Blesh's
> reputation, but all OKOM).  Also, she is, I believe, the mother of the
> cornetist Conrad Janis.

 She is Conrad Janis's mother.  However, Conrad plays the trombone.  Rudy
Blesh was Conrad's step father I believe.

I read the book years ago and really enjoyed it.

The trio section of a piece is where the horns (often tpt, tbn, cl) play in
harmony more sustained notes.  For instance, in High Society, right after
the minor interlude.  Lots of Trad Jazz songs have a trio chorus.

Sometimes after playing it, the band goes on to another strain.  And
sometimes they stay on the trio strain and improvise on it.

--Bob Ringwald