[Dixielandjazz] Origin of word "gig"

JDut953944 at aol.com JDut953944 at aol.com
Mon Jul 7 14:37:05 PDT 2008

That says it all, what is the origin of the word gig?

We had the good fortune to see Preservation Hall Jazz Band at the Marin
County Fair on July 4 and they played the most enthusiastically that I have  seen
so far.  A few different musicians were playing this time, I'm sorry  but I
don't remember any of the names.  I was looking for a few wild  clarinet riffs
but that did not happen as the tenor sax man covered all the  bases.  Was he
great!  The clarinet player was the "guest vocalist"  and didn't take any
clarinet solos.  He did play his clarinet though.

Carol, Clarinet