[Dixielandjazz] Pointless Definitions

Stan Brager sbrager at socal.rr.com
Mon Jul 7 13:06:44 PDT 2008

Ken;

Having seen records on which a trio of instrumentalists were described as an
orchestra, I googled for the definition and found:

Orchestra:
    In modern times, this is the term which signifies a wide variety of
instrumental ensembles.

This was taken from http://tinyurl.com/64zrgr which says that this
definition comes from the "The New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians"
published in 1980.

Need we say more?

Stan
Stan Brager