[Dixielandjazz] A message for Chris Tyle

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sun Jul 6 01:42:05 PDT 2008

Aren't you doing just the thing of which you accuse Chris?
Actually, your quotes seem to be proving his point.
Isham Jones' opinion, in this case, is meaningless.  All the bands WE
- NOW - consider jazz bands, were playing for dancing; hence, they
were all "dance bands."  This goes for Henderson, the Duke, BG, Basie,
Shaw - you name it.

And Chris is right - the term was coined to describe a larger band,
playing, for the most part, rather dreary arrangements, with an
occasional burst of a "hot" solo.  While, for the most part, applied
to "white" bands, there were black bands like that as well.
As to the Devil Mountain, you seem to ignore an important word in your
quote : "The eight piece concert/festival band is best known for the
two trumpet sounds of the Joe Oliver and Lu Watters bands and  The
Orchestrated "hot dance" music of the late twenties."
Once you do an imitation, you don't really need the large size.
Besides, there are exceptions to every rule; the  George Olsen's band
is only worth hearing because of the Red Nichols' solos, being
otherwise rather stodgy, and thus qualifying for the "hot dance"
definition despite its size.
And a technical question: how does one get bold letters, italics or
underlines in Gmail?  I've used caps because I had no idea how to
underline the key phrase.

BTW, I like Tex Wyndham's playing, but I have a recording of his
explanation of the differences between the various traditional jazz
styles, and find much of it ridiculous (but the "illustrations" are
great).
Cheers